Wednesday, December 14, 2011

You Snooze, You Lose

On mornings Aiden gets up before us, which is almost always, he comes into our room, climbs into out bed and smothers us with hugs, kisses and cuddles.  The perfect way to start my mornings.  But the Hallmark morning moment doesn't last very long.  He is that sort of person that wakes up, jumps out of bed and is ready to start the day.  I don't know where he gets it, I am so not a morning person.  I'm not ready to start the day until the afternoon.  After he has done what seems like his routine cariƱo and gets his fill of hugs he quickly asks to watch cartoons.  If it is before 6:30 am I always give in and sleep another half hour more.  I know what you are thinking, I totally rock this whole mothering gig.  I totally do.  Without a doubt.

Lately though he hasn't been asking for cartoons anymore.  And no, it isn't to get on Santa's good list.  It's because of the iPad.  Aiden does the usual climb into our bed and the smothering but disappears before I hit the snooze button the second time.  I find him in another room entertaining himself with YouTube videos of Old McDonald or Five Little Monkeys in Spanish on the iPad.  So like any good mom I tell him to just stay in my bed and watch cartoons.  Of course he refuses since the iPad is his new best friend.  After many mornings of seeing him walk out of my room all by his lonesome self clutching the iPad I feel so sorry for the poor guy.  He has to go to another room all alone and wait for me to finally quit snoozing the alarm and haul my ass out of bed.   The very next morning when I hear him creeping out of the room I tell him to just use the iPad on my bed. 

He smiles at me and says "It's OK Mama, I need time alone with the iPad."


1 comment:

  1. See, even the clingiest of earthlings need their space :)

    ReplyDelete