Monday, September 12, 2011

A Twilight Zone Moment

Last Saturday I tool the kids to the bookstore where they got to pick a book each to buy.  The book Aiden chose was The Man Who Walked Between The Towers by Mordicai Gerstein.  I got chills when we read the book at bedtime.  It turns out the book is in homage to the World Trade Center of New York City and here is Aiden selecting this particular book on the eve of the the tenth anniversary of 9/11.

Maybe I am being over dramatic but I totally think it is a Twilight Zone moment.  I found a cartoon based on the book on YouTube for you to see the story for yourselves.


I also found this 1974 news report of the the actual incident and a short statement of Philippe Petit.  I love that his sentence was so hippie dippie groovy.  If that happened today I bet he would be sued by the owners, the security company and the state. 

8 comments:

  1. Eerie!
    Now I can't get that TZ soundtrack out of my head...and it;s almost midnight! Your fault! :p

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Vico and Patris love this book. Thank you for finding the animated version! You MUST watch Man on Wire which is a documentary on how Philippe Petit hatched his Twin Towers caper.

    And Aiden finds it near the 911 anniversary... really, cue Twilight Zone theme... It is a tragic memory but there's good reason to remember... and learn. And Aiden just reminded you and everyone who reads your blog.....

    xoxo
    Nona

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nona, I saw excerpts of Man on Wire while trolling YouTube. Amazing! Now I really want to see it.

    Michelle, I had goose bumps all night.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yup, you should see the documentary. Petit was constantly arrested. I loved the part where he walks between the Noted Dame steeples too. That was early in his crazy career.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The soundtrack at the start of the video is eerie too!

    And the thought of him walking, kneeling and LYING DOWN (!) on the wire made my knees weak!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kris, did you see him do the kneeling and lying down in the actual footage? Amazing. I'd definitely feel free if I could do that too.

    Barni, I after seeing all this I can't wait to see the documentary.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Talk about synchronicity in the Universe. Did you watch the last Modern Family episode? :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just saw it tonight! I let the earthlings sleep later than usual just to watch.

    ReplyDelete